Dark Fantasy Mania
Dark Fantasy Mania
Dark Fantasy Mania
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for fantasy writers as in the Medieval Era.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Wandering Around

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Flash
Admin
Flash

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Lyra smiled softly to herself. Home. The realm of Lapidem appeared nearly lifeless, but she knew better and the Elves that called it home knew that just as well as she did. It was far from dead. Life would continue on here, just as it had in Scopulous; out of sight. It took a keen eye to find the Elven villages and a sharper eye to find the entrance to the dwarfish tunnels and that was just as well... The magical peoples preferred to keep to themselves, away from the human racket.

Bitter winds tore through the trees and she ducked her head, pulling her cloak tightly around her. The hood refused to stay up and she finally just gave up on it. Her dark hair swirled around her shoulders, catching the freezing snowflakes that the wind carried down through the forest. She sneezed and blinked, shaking her head to clear her ringing ears. Knowing her, she'd probably catch cold. With a sigh, she pushed aside a few low-hanging branches and pushed on.

It was funny, she reflected. No one suspected that she would return home, away from the fire that was the source of her power. Despite the cold, the scraggly pine forests, this place had been good to her. The wind picked up and she desperately looked around. She'd have to find shelter before she froze out here.
Back to top Go down
https://fantasyworldmania.rpg-board.net
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Character Sheet
Character Name: Erin Wolf

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Somewhere off in the distance a warrior pushed his way through the snow and ice. He was one born to warmer climates...like volcanoes...and here he was trudging through slush...

Erin Wolf paused in his thoughts to seek his dire wolf, Shadow.

Shadow, standing six feet tall at the shoulders, could disappear like a ghost and was just as fierce as his master. His massive paws and claws combined with his five inch long canines made short work of his foes.

Erin spotted a gray shape loping about twenty feet ahead. It looked like a snow bank was moving. Yep, there he is. Erin grinned. He called out to his companion and the dire wolf sprinted back to the warrior's side and huffed his steamy breath across his master's hand. "Hey boy. Go get us some food please. I will tend to the the fire." Shadow nodded his head in understanding and put his muzzle to the ground, his keen sense of smell was being put to work.

Erin watched Shadow disappear into the woods and he then began to gather wood for the fire. Once he had a sufficient pile, he drew his sword and held it before him. He closed his eyes and whispered in his heart Flames of anger, flames of passion, heed my call. I summon thee to me! Deathblade, Erin's magnificent hand and a half sword was set ablaze. He pointed the weapon at the wood pile and they instantly were set alight with a brilliant orange flame, hot and bright. Erin smiled darkly and and willed the flames on his sword to extinguish themselves. He looked into the argent weapon and studied his reflection. His dark eyes stared back at him. He looked away uneasily and sheathed his sword quickly. He pulled up a log and sat down on it warming his hands and awaiting Shadow's return.

I wonder if anything even lives out here?
Erin though to himself.
Back to top Go down
http://chivalrynow.net/
Flash
Admin
Flash

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Lyra suddenly stopped moving. There was a light up ahead, she was sure of it. She took an uneasy step closer. Yes, it was definitely fire. She knew the ways of the element better than she knew herself and the dancing light was unmistakable. Someone else was here. Granted, this wood was not deserted, but an encounter with another traveler was not what she'd call common. Indeed, it was far more likely to see one of the wolves that roamed the forest than another humanoid. Still, despite her caution, she was curious. Fire meant heat, warmth... But it could also mean danger. There was always the possibility that the lighter of the fire was another Legacy. That was a chance she wasn't sure if she was willing to take.

Moving quickly and soundlessly through the damp snow, she came up behind a large fir tree and peered through the needles. What she saw made her heart pound with something akin to fear. A man sat by the fire, looking around with what she took to be unease. She took some satisfaction in that, but very little. His unease made him unpredictable and if she were to show herself, it was always likely that he would simply react and kill her on the spot... or worse. She had no idea of what kind of powers he had and judging from the tracks in the snow, he wasn't alone either. An animal of impossible size had been here fairly recently and he must know that, which most likely meant that the two were traveling together. Great.

Sinking back onto her heels, she watching the crackling flames, mesmerized by their light, their beauty, and the danger that clung to them like a shadow. Their dancing light held her captive, spellbound; blind and deaf to everything else. Fire. Her heart beat just a little faster. Fire. She took a deep breath. Fire. Her hands began to glow with warm light in response to the stranger's flames. Snapping out of her trance, she plunged her hands into the snow and the light went out. Great Goddess, had he seen anything?
Back to top Go down
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Character Sheet

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Erin closed his eyes and felt a strange stirring in the woods. Fire...but not my own... He didn't not move a muscle. His training had taught him to never alarm a newcomer, else one might get killed. So he stayed still and silently called to Shadow to rejoin him. Erin willed the flames to grow hotter and brighter with but a thought, seeing what effect they'd have on the visitor. And if the visitor just happened to be some thug, Well, I WOULD enjoy a little practice with my sword... Erin remained still as the flames grew and climbed ever higher in the wintry woods. The heat from them was intoxicating for one such as he...a Legacy of Fire ...

He kept his eyes closed and felt Shadow was near now...He decided to see if the newcomer was friend... or foe...

"It's not polite to spy on others you know. If you want to join me by the fire, you can just ask." His laugh seemed to carry the faintest traces of power, but he did his best to hide them...he didn't want to frighten the visitor off...yet. "Come and have a seat, if you wish." He abstractly gestured towards a one of the logs he'd set around the fire for keeping his gear out of the snow.

He closed his eyes, leaned back, and waited with a smile. This should be interesting...
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 5:52 pm

As the flames burned suddenly hotter, Lyra knew without a doubt that the man just a little ways away was a Legacy. The fire was warm, bright, looked just like a normal fire... but she knew better. It was like hers, deadly and filled with a foreign power that didn't come from a flint striking on tinder. A son of fire and a warrior into the bargain. She heard the power in his voice, shivered as the authoritative voice passed over her. There was arrogance there and confidence. She knew that it was unlikely that she'd be able to overpower him if the worst came to the worst, but she got the feeling that he wouldn't fight her yet. Anyone with any sense didn't throw themselves into battle with an unknown enemy. It was a recipe for disaster.

But something told her not to run. While it would be safer to melt into the shadows as if she had never been there, never been drawn to the flames, she couldn't. Something held her fast that was stronger than the fire. The wind was bitter and her feet had long gone numb and she wouldn't be able to hold out much longer, but that wasn't what kept her here.

Then what was?

Lyra did not think of herself as particularly brave, but what she did then would have counted as such to those who knew her. She rose to her feet and stepped out from behind the tree. Her eyes were defiant as she looked at the man. "I'd rather sacrifice the niceties rather than risk me life," she said frostily. "As would you." Perhaps the last one what a little bold, but she stood by it.
Back to top Go down
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Character Sheet

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Erin laughed.

"Well, you're a saucy gal, aren't you?" He chuckled as he rose slowly. He looked past her and called out "SHADOW! Stand down."

The monster wolf slinked out from behind the elf maid, gave her a weary look as he passed her, and then went and sat next to Erin.

"This is Shadow. He is my one and only friend out here. And I," He placed a gloved hand over his breastplate that had his howling wolf insignia engraved on it, "Am Erin Wolf...Please, have a seat..." He nodded to the logs set around the fire indicating that she could sit on one of them.

'You have my name stranger...but i dont have yours. What brings you to this frozen forest?" He stood waiting for her to take a seat as Shadow studied her carefully, his every sense alert and seeking hostility...Finding no real threat, Shadow looked at her and then to Erin as if he knew something neither of them did.

"What? Scared of me? Perhaps you should be...but you have my word as the Champion of the Goddess that neither i nor Shadow shall harm you..." He waited for her response...
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 6:45 pm

He had a dire wolf. A dire wolf. Was he insane? A dire wolf. Her brain seemed to have jammed. Oh Goddess, it was taller than she was... he was too, but most people were so that didn't particularly intimidate her. Okay, just a little bit. He was tall with rippling muscles and looked fierce, even if he was trying to place it nice. Maybe she should have run while she had a chance. Erin Wolf. His name sounded good in her head and it somehow seemed to fit him. Wolf; he looked the part.

Shadow, the dire wolf, was the one that scared her. He too seemed to be playing nice for whatever reason. She was an animal-lover and if the wolf had any second ideas, she knew that it was more than likely that she wouldn't fight it. Not only did it seem to mean something to Erin, but it went against her code of honor to hurt the wild creatures of the night. She held them in too much respect. In this, they were her seniors in rank. But why did it matter to her that the wolf mattered to Erin? He was nothing to her but a possible foe.

"I used to live here," she said coldly, voice as sharp as the pine needles that were hardened by the frost. She refused to sit although she would probably fall over from the cold in another few minutes. Her name, she did not give him. Names had power... and she preferred to remain anonymous for the moment, or at least until she knew more about him. In her world, what was unknown was dangerous. Best to find out all that one could before the unawares came and caught you by surprise.

The wind changed direction and she brushed her hair swiftly out of her face, not taking her wary eyes off Erin and Shadow. She didn't dare.
Back to top Go down
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Character Sheet

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 9:40 pm

Erin shrugged and sat down.

"You're a cautious one, aren't you?" He spoke as he tended to the fire and its embers. Shadow curled up at the warrior's feet and began to nap. "i'd offer you some food, but we're all out. Shadow was hunting when you decided to show up." He warmed his hands by the fire. "You say you're from here? I believe you. You're pale...and you leave little trace behind, despite all the snow...you're an elf...and they are the predominant race in these parts...But then you could be lying...you could be after my money...or my life..." He looked at her, as though it were some test. 'I have many enemies...and i wondered when they'd find me again...so who was it? Dracus? Flammarus? Or maybe some other thug who i had sentenced for life wants revenge?" Erin rose to his full height. He drew his sword with practiced ease...and stabbed it into the ground. He reached into his cloak and tossed out several daggers and knives. Then he leaned forward and threw down his bow and quiver. As he did so he spoke slowly. "I am a man few can kill...but i give you a chance to do so now...if you are here to end my life...i offer no resistance." He went to one knee and lowered his head to the elf maid. "Goddess forgive me for my wrong doings and may you be pleased with me..." He closed his eyes and waited...
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 9:49 pm

Horrified, Lyra took a step back. What should she do? What should she say? In fact - what was there that she could say or do? He could have been insane, which would explain his sudden shift in mood and indeed, the sudden role reversal, but she got the idea that that wasn't it. And she wasn't going to kill him. No matter what it was that she felt, no matter the fear that made her both fascinated with him and want to run away at the same time, she wasn't going to hurt this man. She didn't know why she was so certain, but there would be no blood on her hands tonight... or at least, not his.

"I'm not going to kill you," she said firmly, dropping to her knees in front of him. "And I don't think I'd ever want to."

Yes, he was certainly a man with enemies... she could see that easily. If she played her cards carefully, she would not become one of their number. Something inside wanted to be his friend. Goddess, she must be utterly insane for playing with this fire. He was a Legacy, and therefore; dangerous. Everything about him and his wolf radiated danger and yet she was in the snow in front of him on her knees. Insanity.
Back to top Go down
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Character Sheet

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 12:28 am

Erin's eyes flashed and knocked the maid to the ground stifling any further response she might have had. Shadow was up, ears pinned back, teeth bared.

Erin whispered in her ear, "If you move, we will both die..." Erin reached out slowly and gripped the hilt of his sword...the moment his hand touched the weapon, it flared brightly and Erin had the sword in hand and tumbled forward. Shadow leapt into the dark snarling like a rabid beast and tore into something. Erin had his back to the wolf and stood over Lyra, his weapon ablaze. He pointed the sword into a particularly shadowy shrub and the bush burst into brilliant flames and shriek emanated from somewhere within it. Erin smiled in grim delight until...

THUNK

An arrow slammed into the warrior from his left. Erin fell to his knees...

"Surrender now to us or die!" A rasping voice challenged the warrior.

"Id sooner die than surrender to filth like you!" Erin spat.

The hidden figure turned and and looked at Lyra. "Surrender now to us or SHE dies!"

Something changed then. You could feel it in the air...in the ground...in the very force of earth itself...

Erin had been on his knees with an arrow in his side...it was bleeding profusely...Shadow was occupied with two opponents of his own and couldnt reach Erin just yet...

Erin closed his eyes, reached down, and grabbed the arrow...He tore the projectile free from his flesh with a sickening SLLLLUUURSHH

With his other hand, he proceeded to grab the enemy by their wrist...he twisted till it snapped with a tree like CRRRRAACK and then yanked his opponent towards himself...driving the enemy right into the bloody arrow that Erin still held in his other hand. He let the dead foe drop to the ground and rose slowly to his feet. He looked at Shadow just in time to see the massive wolf disembowel his final opponent.

Around them lay several bodies...still steaming in the frosty forest air...the only real remnants of the fight, besides Erin's wound.

Erin looked at Lyra as Shadow trotted towards them both, blood still dripping from his muzzle. Erin leaned down and extended his hand to her. "Hmmm, they found me faster than i thought they would. Are you alright?"

Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 8:52 am

Lyra just stared at him with blank shock in her eyes. Maybe she'd underestimated him in her original assessment, but no one should be able to kill in the quick, deft manner that he just had. Then again, she'd never met another Legacy. She should have left then while he was wounded, that would have been the best opportunity for her right then. An arrow wound to the side was always detrimental and, from the amount of blood that was still pouring from it, she guessed that he wouldn't have been able to catch her. Not even those who'd hunted her like an animal for so many years had been able to do that.

Erin could have disregarded her as a hindrance and let her die, but he'd made sure she lived for whatever reasons he had. Perhaps he was a good person who'd been shaped and changed by the harsh reality of his world... but perhaps not. While uncertainty still filled her about him, it was best to assume nothing... and not to trust him.

The fire would be a problem, drawing more enemies with it's flickering flames, but Erin would need the heat the flames provided. Instead of taking his hand, she pushed herself to her knees and then to her feet. "I was about to ask you the same thing," she said, a hint of concern catching in her voice. Why was she worried about him? She should be terrified after seeing the incredible prowess he'd just displayed. But she wasn't; and, that in itself scared her.

Her eyes flickered from tree to tree, penetrating the darkness with eyes that were far more acute than any mortal's. She could see no more enemies, but these couldn't be the only ones; they'd have to move on soon. Erin wouldn't make it far with that arrow wound though and pulling it out had been a really bad move. Serrated arrows were designed to inflict as much damage as possible when pulled out. For an experienced warrior, she wouldn't have expected that. Then again, there were a lot of things that he'd just said and done that she hadn't expected.

Lyra forced herself to meet Erin's steady gaze. "You need to sit down," she told him. "A wound like that isn't going to go away during the night; and I can help you if you'll let me." Because she couldn't just leave him here in the middle of this forbidding land on his own with a wound like that. These woods might not be strangers to her, but she could tell that he wasn't a native to these parts. The fact that he was wearing armor was a dead giveaway there and she briefly wondered why it hadn't frozen already in the freezing conditions. While she might not be carrying much on her besides her sword and the clothes on her back, she did keep a medicine pouch attached to her belt at all times. Unless he had other powers that he was yet to display, he would need it.
Back to top Go down
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Character Sheet

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 1:37 pm

Erin winced as he attempted a chuckle. He wiped down his sword in the snow so that it returned to its shining silver brilliance.
He had Shadow drag the dead bodies into a line before him as he sat, as Lyra had told him to. The wolf sat by his master whining as he watched the blood dribble out between Erin’s fingers that he had clamped over the wound. “It’s alright boy…it’s okay…I’ve had worse wounds, delivered by better fighters than these mercs…” He grimaced as he looked over the remains of his enemies.

“These men…they did not deserve this fate…at least, not all of them,” His gazed lingered on one body….the remains of a youth not more than 19 years of age…Erin closed his eyes and reached for his powers…”He left home at twelve…his father was a drunkard with no job and his mother and sisters had to work to support the family…he left home with nothing but the clothes on his back and the sword at his side…he sought some job in which the pay was good enough to feed his family at home…he fell in with mercs…and…” Erin’s eyes opened slowly and he reached down and rifled through the pockets of the dead boy. His eyes softened as he pulled out a small envelope filled with twenty gold coins and a note to the boy’s family. Erin looked to Shadow and grabbed a handful of the wolf’s fur and held the great creature close. “This…this was for his family…he didn’t get a chance to send it before we…well, before we killed him.” Erin, eyes hardening, drew his weapon again and began to speak in a low voice.

“Goddess of Justice, this boy did not deserve his fate…his family needed him, and we, your humble servants, were forced to slay him. I, as your Champion, release his soul from the torment I know awaits him in the afterlife for having attacked one of your servants and for living the life of a mercenary. I ask you to grant him clemency and bless his family. “He rested the tip of his weapon on the boy’s body and summoned flames…but they were not normal flames…these flames were green and other worldly…they were the flames of the Other Place…the flames of the Underworld…the Afterlife…
“Go, rest in peace boy, and know that you family will get it’s just compensation…” Erin then watched as the green flames consumed the boy’s body until there was naught left but dust and ash.

Erin looked at the other bodies and his eyes hardened and his voice went cold and unmerciful. “You majesty, THESE are unworthy souls…their lives have been filled with the joys of tormenting the lives of others and they dealt with all those they met with falsehood and deceit. They attacked us, your servants, AND threatened the life an innocent Elf maid. I judge them unworthy of your mercy. I, Erin Wolf, Master of Flames, and Champion of the Goddess, do herby sentence these unworthy souls to everlasting punishment beyond the Gates of Death. Go rot in Hell!!” Erin flourished his weapon and the green flames were replaced by black ones and pointed the sword at each of the remaining dead and one by one the black flames consumed them, and it was not heat that you could feel coming from the black fire…but a bone chilling cold…the cold touch of death…Erin watched as these bodies were consumed by flames and disappeared forever.

The deed done, he sheathed his weapon. Suddenly his eyes began to roll back in his head…His last words were “Oops…” and then he collapsed from the effort it took to open the Gates of Death and send them all through on top of the fact that he had a gaping wound…he fell unconscious before he hit the ground…
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 3:16 pm

Lyra remained still as a statue throughout the time while Erin was judging the fallen. What right, had he, to determine the lives of those men? What if they too had simply wandered astray? What had their lives been like to make them such? And then again… did she really want to know? In a way, yes, she did. At the same time though, she thought that as soon as she found out, she would have wished not to know.

When the last body turned black and finally crumpled to dust, there was a sudden movement to her left. She turned just in time to see Erin collapsing from the magic he had wrought. Oh Goddess, she was such an idiot. Of course that would happen. He’d used too much of his energy and…

At that moment, Lyra almost panicked. Instead of keeping her head, she rushed to his side and dropped down next to him. He couldn’t be dead, oh Goddess, no. Her fingers closed on his wrist. Ack, it was concealed by the thick gloves he wore. Without hesitating, she pulled one off and slid her fingers around his wrist. There. Weak, but steady, it came. Shaking with relief, she forced his rapidly numbing fingers back into the glove and tried to think of what to do.

The way she saw it, there were three options. Choice number one was to quietly get to her feet and leave while he was helpless to stop her. And if the wolf came after her then… well… she’d figure that out if it happened. Then again, he could just kill him like he’d told her to in the beginning, but she knew that she’d never do that. And the third? Stay and help him. While flight seemed appealing, she couldn’t just leave Erin here in conditions like this and expect him to be okay. Blood still trickled from the wound and if it wasn’t treated soon, it would almost certainly become infected.
With a sigh, Lyra gave up. She would spend the night here by his fire with his wolf at least until dawn came. When the light first started to slant though the trees, she would do what she could to be off as quick as she could. For the moment though, he needed her.

Casting a wary glance at Shadow, she pulled out her medicine pouch from underneath her cloak and undid the thong that kept it together. Yarrow. She didn’t have much left and didn’t know how much more she’d be able to find, but she couldn’t think of a better time to use it. The plant would not only reduce pain, but it would keep it from getting infected and would speed up the healing process.
Moving Erin slightly so that he was on his side, she rinsed the wound with snow and applied the herb. She was acutely aware of the wolf watching her, but she tried not to mind it. The skin around the wound was inflamed and she could see signs of infection already beginning to set in. So soon... she thought, worried. Well, hopefully the yarrow would help him. She didn’t have anything to hold the herb in place though, dang it. She tore off a strip of her cloak and tied the poultice in place, eyes warily resting on the wolf.

Once that was done though, there was nothing left for her to do. Lyra pushed a hand distractedly and looked around. It was getting cold; night was coming. Her gaze slid to Erin. How’d he be able to take the cold of her homeland come nightfall? There wasn’t much that she could do about that though except… Goddess, now she knew she was insane. She pulled off her cloak and draped it around him, hoping it’d help.

And she cared why? She hardly knew the man and all it seemed to her was that he was far too powerful for his own good. Power like that could get her killed. Lyra pushed that thought away from her mind and moved closer to the fire. She’d sit watch throughout the night. If more unwelcome visitors stopped by, she wouldn’t be taken by surprise.
Back to top Go down
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Character Sheet

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 7:20 pm

Shadow watched Lyra intently. He was not about to let some Elf maid kill his master…but it seemed she didn’t want to hurt him…it seemed… and Shadow was not entirely certain about this one, but it seemed as though she was worried about Erin. So, after watching her tend to his master for a while, he decided that she was not a threat…at least, not yet. He lay down by her side. She may not have been a threat, but this was a forest and they had just been attacked…Shadow kept silent watch by Lyra’s side.

As the first rays of morning sun peeked over the horizon, Erin slowly regained consciousness. He opened his eyes and examined his surroundings. Lyra had her back turned to him and Shadow seemed to be resting at her feet. Erin noticed his side felt strange. He shifted his gaze to his wound and found that it had been bandaged and covered in a poultice. Erin noticed Lyra had no cloak…and then even more surprising, her cloak was draped over him. When had that happened? Why had she tended to him?

Now, Erin had spent many a night lying in some god forsaken forest or in some muddy ravine after judging the dead with no one but Shadow to watch over him, and it hadn’t killed him yet. That was part of his cursed powers. He was really really hard to kill. He could be brought to the very brink of Death, so close that he felt as though his very breath was hitting Death’s Gates, but he could never reach the peace of eternal sleep… he’d survive…somehow…at least, he would survive so long as the Goddess still had purpose for her Champion of Justice that is…So Erin was no stranger to infected wounds and strange injuries after his Judgments…but this…this was strange…who was this Elf and why did she care what happened to a stranger??

Erin shifted slightly and decided to try to get up. He rose to his feet silently, but found himself slightly unsteady. He grunted to himself. Nothing I haven’t dealt with before. He opened up his own pack of gear and pulled out his traveler’s cloak and put it on. His silver armor was now hidden by the rough brown cloak. Erin strapped his weapons back on and winced slightly as he walked slowly towards the Elf and the dire wolf. With all of his weapons and his armor hidden, he simply looked like rather muscular traveler or merchant. He stood behind her and spoke softly so as not to surprise her too much.

“Hey, thanks for the cloak…and for treating my wound. You didn’t have to do that.” He held her cloak out towards her; his face gave nothing away at all, not a hint of his feelings or whether or not he trusted her any more than the previous night. He seemed for all the world a stone faced statue framed by the morning sun’s illuminating rays.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 10:16 pm

Lyra heard Erin rouse himself, but made no more. He was awake, a good sign. It was early yet so he must be an early riser into the bargain. His wound hadn't slowed him down either, or not much. She could feel it in his steps, the slight hesitation there, the slightly different quality to his breathing. It was bothering him, but he was trying to ignore it and but it behind. No doubt that a warrior like himself had endured far greater injuries than the arrow wound he had suffered last night.

His thanks took her by surprise though, not his silent approach. He was less formal this morning than he had been last night, which was another surprise to her. While she was not about to complain of the change, it did make her curious. His face was a stony mask and his emotions, a closed book to her. Was he wondering about her as much as she was about him? No matter... No matter; he was nobody to her, a stranger in the woods.

Almost hesitantly, she reached up and took the cloak from him with fingers that were stiff with the cold. "But I did have to do that," she said with a faint smile. "You spared my life and I did what little I could in return." Stiff from kneeling all night in the bitter weather, she got to her feet and mentally shook herself. She was out of her mind by not only staying here to guard him while he slept, but also for healing him when he could probably kill her like a fly that pestered him. At the same time that she feared him, she was also strangely drawn to him in a way that words couldn't describe. It just was what it was and there wasn't a thing she could do about it.

Lyra looked from Erin to his wolf. "And what now?" she asked him. "Do we continue on together or go separate ways? I can be of assistance to you if you'd have me. Otherwise." She shrugged. "I'm a hunted Legacy. If my presence were not welcome, I can go another direction."
Back to top Go down
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Character Sheet

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 12:42 pm

“Hunted? By what or whom, and why?” Erin seemed perplexed. Who’d try to hunt a legacy? “I must return this gold, “He held up the pouch he’d taken from the dead boy the other night, “And then, I don’t know…Perhaps I shall go to Caligo? Perhaps I shall track down the “Black Rose”, a mighty floating city, which I hear was sunk without reason… I hear stories of an Orb lost in the Caligo Realm…I don’t know…I am one man and I was ordered to protect the Five Realms and I am failing. I cannot be everywhere at once. But, first, I head to Paludem to return this money to the boy’s family…You can come with me if you wish. It has been months since I’ve had a live person’s company…I had to carry a dead merchant’s body for three days to his home a few months ago…it was not one of my more glorious journeys.” Erin, without waiting for her response, strode off towards Paludem with Shadow by his side.

He called back over his shoulder, “If you do chose to go elsewhere, and whoever’s tracking you catches you…tell them that you are under the protection of Lord Erin Wolf of Endar, Master of Flames, and the Champion of Justice for the Goddess…they most likely wont bother you again…” He walked off.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Lyra attempted to follow his words, frowning slightly. He didn't give her time to answer his question, though he seemed perplexed by the fact that she was constantly followed. Luckily for him, those problems didn't seem to have found their way into his life. For one who judged the dead... She shook that thought out of her head, it wasn't important. He seemed dedicated to what he did though, which could go either way as good or bad. Whatever the case, she was tired to the endless years spent evading death alone and if he wasn't going to tell her to leave off, then she figured that she might as well. If trouble came for her, she was more than capable of dealing with it.

Before she could change her mind, and it wouldn't have been hard either, she sped up and followed after him. She was probably only going to be a hindrance to him... But, hopefully, he'd let her know if and when she was getting under his skin.

Last edited by WolfGirl on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Character Sheet

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Erin noticed the Elf maid was following him. Curious, he thought to himself…she has guts. He slowed his break-neck stride to allow them to come side by side. His unkempt long brown hair moved with the wind as he marched along.

“You’re a fire legacy…and you’re being hunted…why? Who are you? If you’re going to come with me, you might as well give me your name…”

He looked at her, his gaze penetrating and fierce, but somehow, not threatening…

It began to snow…but the flakes never reached either of them…Erin’s fiery aura melted them a few inches from their skin…

Erin awaited an answer from the strange elf girl.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 5:32 pm

His aura was much stronger than hers, but maybe he just hadn't found himself an amulet yet to absorb the excess energies. Maybe she could teach him how to make one if there was ever the time or if they traveled together long enough for him to trust her. Then again, she could always find a mage willing to bargain one off to her.

The look on his face when he questioned her was slightly unsettling. It wasn't threatening; she knew what a threat looked like. Almost protective. She took a long time to answer his question, a lot longer than she should have and the silence stretched between them."You can call me Lyra," she said at length. "That is all you ever need know." What he didn't know kept him safe, she though sadly.

The snow began to fall faster around them and she pulled her hood up over her head, looking away from him. "It will likely snow for the remainder of the day," she said in a brittle voice. "I'd guess that we have a blizzard on the way. If we were wise, we ought to look for shelter."
Back to top Go down
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Character Sheet

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 5:42 pm

“Lyra, eh? Say it going to snow more? And we need a cave?” He laughed. Shadow, can you find us a cave to rest in please?

The wolf looked up at Erin, nodded, and bounded away in search of a suitable shelter.

“What tracks you Lyra?” He asked carefully. “I need to know what it is…I don’t need to know why. If I know what it is, Shadow can find where they are and we can avoid them for a good while…” He stopped speaking when a chilling howl rose up from a few miles away.

“Looks like Shadow found us a cave…” He gestured to Lyra to follow him and headed towards the howl.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 6:01 pm

"I shall tell you once we're reasonably safe," Lyra stalled. "There are native gray wolves that call this forest home, but I doubt either you or Shadow will have to worry about them. If you were a lone traveler, then perhaps, but you have Shadow and I would eat my boots if they would even try to attack you with a dire wolf at your side." A strand of her dark hair fell into her face and she tucked it behind an ear, eyes scanning the trees through through the whirl of snow. "And those that hunt at night fear the power of fire." The unearthly howl reminded her of the smaller wolves that she sometimes ran into, animals that she had come to know as friends. With Erin and Shadow however, she was uncertain as to how they would react if they happened to bump into any later on.

She fell in line behind Erin as he plowed his way through the frozen branches and thick blanketing of snow. Sharp needles seemed to stab at her feet as she walked in his wake; she would need to barter for some boots in the next village they came to or else she'd be likely to get frostbite before too long.

He wanted to know as to reasons why? She had little intention of telling him, despite the logic to his reasons. Still... she'd shaken them off back in Scopulous and there were only a minute handful of people who knew where it was that she had gone.
Back to top Go down
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Character Sheet

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 7:08 pm

As they neared the cave, they spotted a wolf near the entrance, but it was not Shadow. It was far too small…It was one of the native grey wolves of the realm…and, it was not alone.

Six other howls sounded from all around Erin and Lyra…seven wolves…had surrounded them.

Erin paused. His face became grim and fierce. He hunched over and snarled menacingly and eyed the wolf at the front of the cave. The wolf bared its teeth and its hackles rose.

Erin charged at the wolf with a howl. The wolf raced towards Erin with a growl. They both jumped at one another…teeth gnashing and eyes flashing.

And then hit the ground and rolled.

Erin laughed and hugged the wolf.

“I missed you to Little Brother!” He ruffled the wolf’s ears affectionately and it responded by wagging his tail furiously. Then it noticed Lyra and was on its paws in hurry, ears pinned back and his body in front of Erin’s almost like a shield. The six other wolves had surrounded Lyra and awaited the command to attack.

Then, like his namesake, Shadow was next to Lyra. He growled once asserting his dominance. The other wolves lowered themselves submissively to the massive dire wolf. Shadow tugged at Lyra’s sleeve gently trying to take her up to the cave he’d found, almost as though he were an eager puppy wanting to show her the new cave he’d just found.

Erin smiled. “Shadow likes you.” Erin turned back to the grey wolves that were all around. “Little brothers, this elf, she has enemies who might have followed her. Will you go with Shadow and see if you can’t persuade them to disappear?” It was a genuine question and not an order. Erin was asking grey wolves if they would help him…

Shadow stood in front of Erin translating all that the warrior had said to the wolves. The grey wolves looked to one another. The one Erin had hugged started to howl. One by one the others joined in. then Shadow howled. It was similar to the others, but richer, stronger, fiercer and more elegant than the others. It had almost an otherworldly melody. It had a personality. The howls reached a frightening crescendo then ceased as quickly as it began. The wolves, including Shadow turned away from the cave and headed back in the direction Erin and Lyra had come.

A pack of wolves eight strong, with a dire wolf in the lead, was hunting the Erin and Lyra’s enemies…

Erin entered the cave and stabbed his weapon into the ground close to the back of the cave. He whispered a few words and some small flames began to dance across the blade.

“I’ll get some wood. That,” he gestured to the flaming Deathblade, “Should keep you warm till I get back with wood for a real fire.” He strode out and disappeared just as the blizzard took hold.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 07, 2012 8:10 pm

It was an interesting and almost amusing display that Erin had shown while greeting the wolves and it made her smile just a little bit. She didn’t fear the wolves, far from it in reality. Wolf attacks on Elves were rare enough to be considered almost nonexistent, but every few years word got around that a young one had wandered off and had never come back. But as the wolves stood snarling at her, she couldn’t help but smile. Their minds might have been focused on wanting to kill her, but they’d never survive it.

For some reason though, she found herself almost annoyed with Erin. He’d called them brothers, but the Alpha female and two of her sisters as well as a daughter had also been present. The hunting was led by the females, while the prey was brought down by the males due to their larger size. Not that she could blame him for not knowing that, but he’d acted as if he’d known the pack. It was the fact that he almost seemed to behave as if she wasn’t perfectly capable of taking care of herself. He’d left his flaming sword with her and then just gone off in the middle of a blizzard to hunt. That was always a good idea. Ha. Right.

She walked over the sword and laid a finger cautiously on the hilt. No reaction. Removing her hand, she made a swift gesture and the flames pulled themselves away from the sword, spiraling through the air to come to rest in her waiting hands. Cupping the flames in her hands, she sat down by the cave entrance, folding her legs underneath her. She sat there, anxiously waiting for the warrior to return. Why she worried she did not know, but worry she did. Storms at this time of year were dangerous at the best of times and if he lost his way, there was little hope of his survival. As the minutes ticked on, she tried her best not to think of all that could go wrong.
Back to top Go down
Wolf
Admin
Wolf

Character Sheet

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 3:21 pm

Erin was hit by the blizzard hard. It was cold, but the fire within his soul staved off the worst of it. Erin used a small knife he had on his belt to cut up some small branches and twigs for the fire. The solitude got him thinking…who was this elf? Why did she care about him? What was he to her but a stranger? He had to protect her…he was the Champion of Justice…but was there more to it than just duty? Erin began to feel uneasy…and something else too…but he pushed it away…feelings like those got people killed…like his mother…brothers…and….his father…NO! I REFUSE…I cannot care too much! It gets others killed…as soon as I can… I will send her to some Elven fortress so she can stay safe…I’m not letting her die…I won’t…

This line of thought was worrying for Erin. Was he starting to care for the Elf Maid? If so, that had to end soon…otherwise she WOULD die one way or another and it WOULD be his fault…he would have no more innocent blood on his hands…

Erin was still brooding darkly when he arrived back at the cave with the wood and threw it on the fire and replaced his weapon in its scabbard. He sat down without a word.
Back to top Go down
Flash
Admin
Flash

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Lyra watched Erin stalk back into the cave, a scowl on his brow and a brooding expression in his eyes. He was thinking about something and she wondered nervously if it had anything to do with her. If so, the thought made her slightly uneasy. What was it that she had done to set him off like that? Slightly nervous now, she watched his anxiously. She didn't know what to do if she got angry at her, for she couldn't leave without risking getting seriously hurt in the blizzard that was starting to rage outside. It looked like she'd just have to weather the storm in as well as without their cave.

She looked at Shadow apprehensively, before looking back to Erin. She still held his fire in her cupped hands, not wanting to let it die just yet. But she had to conserve her energy... she would need it. With a faint sigh, she brought her hands together and the flickering light went out without a sound. It was Erin's fire, anyway. Her own flames flickered with blue-white light, which was hotter than the crimson flames that he produced; hotter and far more dangerous. It was more elemental, more wild, and more dangerous. If she couldn't control it, her own fire could kill her.

When the silence remained tense and continued to stretch on, she finally decided to break it. "You okay?" she asked him, a hint of worry catching in her voice. "You seem preoccupied with something." Goddess, she hoped she hadn't just said anything dumb, or sounded like she meant anything that she didn't. So she had feeling for him that were abnormally strong for such a stranger, that didn't have to mean anything. It was more than likely that he wouldn't ever return the feeling, but she was always one for hopeless causes. The problem with being a Legacy and an Elf into the bargain, meant that she'd only fall once... and she'd fall forever. That in mind, she did what she could to convince herself that it was nothing, that he was nothing more than something with whom she was traveling with for the moment. He was nothing more to her than friend, if even that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wandering Around Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wandering Around   Wandering Around I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wandering Around
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dark Fantasy Mania :: The Five Realms :: Lapidem :: The Forest-
Jump to: